Providing homes and creating sustainable communities

Your home


Click on the item below to find out whether it's something we'll take care of for you or if it's something you're responsible for.

Animated image of bedroom with furniture


Personal alarms

We’ll arrange for someone to fix and monitor the device or line.

Electric fixtures and fittings

We will take care of all electrical fixtures and fittings, including extractor fans, sockets, wiring, switches and light fittings.

Disabled adaptations

If your home has been changed in any way to help with your disabilities, we will carry out repairs to minor adaptations such as grab rails.

If you require significant changes to your home to help with your disability, you’ll need to contact your Local Authority to arrange these adaptions, and we’ll work with you to get any changes made. You are also responsible for the maintenance and repair of anything installed to your home.


We will regularly clean any communal areas. Cleaning of your home, including shower heads and keeping drains clear is your responsibility.

Animated image of kitchen with applicances


Appliance testing

All fitted appliances, fittings and white goods provided by us will be tested.
It’s up to you to arrange testing for your own electrical items.


We will inspect communal fridges, freezers, and dryers weekly. We will carry out annual safety checks of all gas appliances owned by us.
You are responsible for any domestic appliances that you own, including cookers, fridges, washing machines and dishwashers.


We have a programme of work to maintain kitchen units, worktops, sinks and tiling - that includes full replacements, if required.


We will coordinate several routine inspections. This includes electrical and fire equipment checks, as well as testing for Legionella and other sewage treatment checks.

Animated image of bathroom with toilet and bath


Bathrooms and toilets

We are responsible for all repairs.

We will repair your shower and electric towel rail if they were provided by us, and any communal toilet seats. We provide new toilet seats when a new tenancy begins, you are responsible for these after you move in.

You are responsible for your towel rails, toilet roll holders, cabinets, plugs and chains. 

Please see information about blockages below.

Condensation, damp & mould

We will provide specialist, technical advice in complex cases. If needed, we will request surveys and carry out any repairs.

Mould is mostly caused by moisture from inadequate use of ventilation or heating. It’s up to you to manage any excessive moisture within your home, and regularly clean and wipe away mould.

Find out more about how to combat condensation

Drains, sewers and blockages

You’ll need to have a reasonable attempt to clear all blockages. And please don’t throw nappies and wet wipes down the toilet or pour chip fat or oil down your kitchen sink.

However, if you can’t get them clear, we will take care of drain and sewer blockages, as well as kitchen waste, bath waste, toilets, and hand basin blockages.

Floor coverings

We will take care of floor coverings in any communal areas, as well as in your kitchen, utility room and bathroom.

Apart from the kitchen, utility room and bathroom, you’re responsible for all the floors in your home. This includes any changes you need to make to your doors to accommodate your new carpets.

Shower heads and hoses

We won’t repair any shower heads, hoses or curtains.

You’ll need to replace shower heads, hoses or curtains if they break. Looking after them through regular cleaning will help avoid the need to replace them.

Animated image of living room furniture and hole in wall

Living Room

Coat hooks, curtains and curtain rails

You are free to put up and maintain coat hooks, curtains and curtain rails.


You are responsible for any damage caused by you, your family or visitors to your home. Remember, you may be recharged if we have to repair damage to your home.


Your new home will be decorated neutrally throughout when you move in and we will bring any surface back to this standard after a repair. In some cases, we will provide you with redecoration vouchers.

We will also, where needed, wash down and decorate external communal areas.

It’s up to you how you decorate your home. Just please make sure you leave it in good decorative order and painted in neutral colours when you leave.


We will look after the floor structures, including the floorboards and screed coverings.

Heating & hot water system

As part of our annual programme, if your heating system breaks down or you need a new one, we’ll take care of it. Whether it’s gas, solar, air source, oil or electric storage heating, we’ll keep them up & running. This also includes any built-in fan heaters and hot water cylinders. We’ll also maintain any heating in communal areas.

We’ll make sure energy meters, flues and meter boxes are easy to access (keeping the area free from overgrown plants, for example). You can also ask us to relight any pilot lights that have gone out, or to give access to certain areas for annual services.

You need to ensure there’s enough fuel or energy supply for heating.

Light bulbs

We will replace light bulbs and fluorescent tubes in communal areas when needed, and we will replace bulkhead light fittings in homes in older persons' schemes too. If you’re unable to change lightbulbs inside your home, perhaps due to a disability, you can always ask us.

Unless you’re physically unable to, replacing bulbs, fluorescent tubes, starters and dimmer switches in your home is up to you.

Plastering / rendering

If you find large cracks in plaster or render, we'll repair them.  If there is a structural issue, we'll involve our insurance company.

We’ll leave any cracks that are under 3mm wide (about the thickness of a £1 coin) to you.

Smoke / heat / CO detectors (domestic)

If your smoke, heat or carbon monoxide detector needs its batteries replacing, we’ll do that. Similarly, we’ll also install them in new properties when we visit to carry out a gas service. It’s up to us to repair and replace any sealed, hardwire smoke detectors too.

It’s up to you to regularly test the batteries in these detectors.

Telephone points / sockets / aerials

It’s up to us to provide and maintain telephone/aerial points & sockets in communal areas.

You’ll need to maintain any points or sockets that are inside your home.

Animated image of garden with shed and washing line


Neighbourhood inspections and clearance

We will monitor and manage, any discarded items, including fly-tipping that’s on our land, there may be a charge incurred if this happens. 

Fencing and boundaries

We will make sure your front boundary is in keeping with your neighbours' property.  Any repairs we carry out will match the existing fencing. Your rear boundary will be marked with a post and wire fence unless it borders a communal area in which case, we will provide 1.8m fencing with concrete posts.


We will take care of any repairs, such as replacement doors etc.

If you lose your keys, it’s up to you to cover the cost of a lock change or a set of new keys.

Garden / grounds maintenance

We carry out surveys and maintenance on all trees on our land to ensure they’re safe. We also take care of grounds maintenance and gardening in your communal areas.


Our Neighbourhood team have the tools and will remove graffiti from any buildings on our land. If it’s not Banksy, we will take it off. 

Gritting / salting

When the weather turns, we will take care of gritting and salting for our older person schemes.

Sewage treatment plants

We will clear and maintain septic tanks as required... lucky you.


If the shed is made of bricks, we’ll take care of the repairs.

If it’s made of wood, it’s up to you to repair.

Washing lines

We’ll repair and replace any broken communal washing lines.

You’re responsible for your individual washing line.

Animated image of outside a house with dog


Doors, hinges, handles and external locks

We are responsible for internal and external doors, including hinges and external locks.

If you lose your keys, it’s up to you to cover the cost of a lock change or a set of new keys.

Gutters and downpipes

We’ll routinely clear out the gutters and downpipes outside your home and repair them if they break.


We are responsible for all maintenance and repairs to lifts.

Paths, steps and roads

Anything to do with existing paths, roads, car parks and steps is our responsibility. That includes repair and replacement.

Structural damage

Upon finding out about structural damage to your home, we’ll carry out an initial investigation and diagnose any problems.

All you’ll need to do in the event of structural damage to your home is to let us know about it.


We’ll carry out repairs to meter box cupboards. For relocation of meters, please contact your service provider. 


If there are walls which need repairing, repointing or rebuilding, we will take care of it all.

You don’t have to repair, repoint or rebuild any walls – what a relief!

Window repairs

We will repair any window locks which have broken, whether they’re internal or external. We can also replace window restrictors if required.

If you lose the keys to your window, you’ll need to buy replacement keys or a new lock as required.


We will carry out a survey and remove any asbestos-containing materials before you move into your new home. Sometimes, asbestos will be left behind if it’s undisturbed, in low amounts, and not a risk to your health. We’ll clearly mark this for you.
For more information on asbestos, visit our I'm a New Tenant page.


We are responsible for any multi-fuel appliances installed by us, and any structural repairs, such as repointing or rebuilding. 

You are responsible for sweeping your chimney.


We will coordinate any upgrades to cavity wall and loft insulation. We’ll also replace any loft insulation if we removed any, due to a repair.

Pest control

It's up to you to keep on top of any household pests in your home and garden.

However, if there’s a serious infestation causing damage in your home, like bed bugs or rats, it’s best you ring us to sort it out.

Similarly, if there’s a pest in a communal area or sheltered property, like rodents, insects or wasps, give us a call. 


Permissions list

Throughout your tenancy, there are bound to be things you’ll want to change, replace or remove. But, before you pick up the hammer and nails, check the list below as you may need to get in touch with us to provide you with our written consent. 

You are welcome to change...

  • Aerial (analogue or digital)
    Only in houses or bungalows (not flats). They can be fitted in the loft or to the outside of your home, and it’s your responsibility to maintain them once they’re installed.
  • Coving
  • Electric key/card/smart meter
  • Fencing
    You must talk it through with your neighbours first. Fences must be no higher than 1m at the front of your home or 2m at the back.
  • Gas key/card/smart meter
  • Greenhouse
    It must be removed at the end of your tenancy. The maximum size is 2m x 2.5m.
  • Keysafe
    It must be removed at the end of your tenancy.
  • Laminate flooring
    Unless you’re in an upper floor flat.
  • Mixer tap shower
    The surrounding walls should be fully tiled to protect against water damage.
  • Outside tap
    It should be earthed with a plastic insert fitted to the copper pipe to separate earth from the inside to the outside of the property.
  • Satellite dish
    You must speak with your local authority about any planning restrictions and obtain planning consent if necessary. If you live in a flat with a communal satellite dish, you may not change it.
  • Shed (wooden/plastic/metal)
    Yes (it must not be bigger than 3m x 2.5m).
  • Water butt
  • Water meter

You will need permission for...

  • Additional sockets
    The work must be carried out by an NICEIC approved contractor.
  • Business from home
  • Electric charging point
  • Electric shower
  • Lodger
  • Outside light
    The work must be carried out by an NICEIC approved contractor and mustn't cause a nuisance to any neighbouring properties.
  • Parking space
    You'll need permission from your local authority to drop the kerb.

We don't allow changes to...

  • Bathroom
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Conservatory
  • Front door 
  • Gas supply for gas cooker
  • Kitchen
  • Lean-to
  • Loft insulation
  • Multi-fuel burner/open fire
  • Pond
  • Installation of solar panels
  • Tumble dryer vent
  • Wood burner/open flue

Pets in your home

You don’t need to ask for our consent before welcoming a new pet into your family. All we ask is that you consider the impact a pet might have on your neighbours, your home, the animal itself and your finances before you commit.

If you have a pet and it causes a nuisance to those living around you, this could be a breach of your tenancy agreement – in this situation, we would take action to resolve the issue.

This could include:

  • imposing conditions
  • requiring consent for further pets
  • reporting to animal welfare organisations
  • requesting the pet is rehomed or in more serious cases, taking legal action.

We do not permit you to have any breed of dog to which Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 applies, including dogs placed on the Index of Exempt Dogs.

We usually allow pets in all our homes. However, if you access your home through a communal door, we only permit pets that are usually kept in cages or tanks.

If you access your home through a communal door and need an assistance animal for a support need, please get in touch with us on 0808 169 9301 and we can talk it through.

Image of sofa with dog icon overlayed

Communal areas

If you share some communal spaces with your neighbours, there are some guidelines you need to be aware of. This is for your safety, and the safety of those around you.

Your feedback

We aim to make it quick and easy for you to have your say about what matters to you, so we can deliver the best possible service. If you’d like to give us feedback on your repair, please visit our feedback page.

Helpful resources

Sometimes, when it comes to keeping your home in tip-top condition, you might need a helping hand. Working in partnership with Flagship Services, we’ve put together a library of how-to guides, useful tips and practical advice for maintaining your home, inside and out.
White lightbulb icon